Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 2c8a7e5: Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulat

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 2c8a7e5: Improve diff-mode navigation/manipulation
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:14:41 +0200

On 10.12.2016 03:27, Dima Kogan wrote:

I'm unclear about what the complaint is. Both the old and new behaviors
made the auto-refinement do its thing. Is the complaint that the point
no longer moves to the end (and if so, why is that "right"?) or is the
"ding" the "problem?

Sorry, let me clarify.

The first complaint is that, yes, point doesn't move to the end anymore. Foremost, I'm simply used to the old behavior. Second, I'm not sure how to implement on-demand refining of the first hunk in a sane fashion without it, see below.

Third, it's simply handy if the first hunk is taller than the height of the window, I would navigate to its end to examine it. Fourth, I'd see the end of the buffer myself before the next pressing of `n' invokes a "ding".

The second complaint is that the command does a "ding" (informing me that I did something wrong), and then proceeds to do something useful: refining the hunk.

OK. The logic in place is to auto-refine the hunk at point after a
motion, which is why you're seeing this behavior. Are you seeing this
issue only with the first hunk in a buffer and only when you first load
such a buffer?

Yes.

If so, an auto-refinement call from a diff-mode-hook
would solve this. Sounds reasonable, or are such things frowned-upon?

What if the first hunk is big and refining takes a lot of time?

As it is now, I can make the choice to refine or not myself. If `diff-mode-hook' does that, I won't even see the diff before refining is done.