Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:35:14 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:13:37 -0800
>
> On 11/29/2016 10:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If we don't attract more core developers, we will never get out of this
> > vicious cycle.
>
> Although we certainly could use more core developers, it's quite a
> stretch to say that switching from unexec to a portable undumper will
> scare recruits away.

Which is why I didn't say that.

> On the contrary, the portable approach is simpler and easier for
> non-experts than what we have now.

I didn't compare the proposed portable dumper with what we have now,
so this is a red herring.

> > C programmers are a dying breed
> I don't agree, as C is an essential component of GNU/Linux and is
> robustly represented in the practical and research programming
> communities. (For what it's worth, C's popularity is ranked #7 in PyPL
> and #2 in TIOBE.)

When did you last try to hire a C or C++ programmer?

As another data point, just look in the logs at the names of people
who make C-level changes, and count them.

I didn't say I like this, but leading a project to be viable in the
future needs to look at the reality, not at our wishful thinking.