Re: lldb support

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: lldb support
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:44:32 +0100

Your argument disregards the important fact that LLDB is part
of a project that aims to replace many important GNU packages,
and its success is the GNU Project's loss.

I don't think the aim is to replace GNU packages, but to give everyone better tools. Without the GNU packages none of it would have been possible.

If people find the alternative better it should be intencive to improve the GNU packages... not to try to find ways of preventing them to use the alternative (which is the wrong answer in my honest opinion, it's a sort of vendor lockin).

You have to understand that these sort of tactics simply don't work: none of these users will switch to GDB just because Emacs does not support the alternative. They will simply write the code in emacs and debug it outside emacs, so the result is actually the opposite of what you want (the users using GNU tools all the time).

I think that that is not important to you, but it is very
important for the GNU Project.

I don't think that promoting the GNU project should be more important than having Emacs support free software, especially for something most Emacs user would expect it to do.

I understand that GNU draws the line about commercial software tho, and I understand the conflict of interests in this affair. It's not easy.

Philippe