Re: Redisplay hook

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redisplay hook
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:24:30 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 12:14:02 -0400
>
> > The upshot of all this is that IMO if we decide to provide the
> > post-redisplay hook, we will need to figure out all of these use
> > cases, and perhaps provide separate hooks for some of them; otherwise,
> > I'm quite sure that soon enough someone files a bug report or posts a
> > message here complaining that the existing hooks don't work for
> > them...
>
> Yes, that makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand, we don't need to
> implement all of this at once.  As long as we're fairly sure that we
> understand the use cases well, we might be able to implement the parts that
> there is immediate demand for, leaving room for future extensions as needed.

I'd rather we implemented at least a few of the more important ones.
That's because by the time the issues are clear, the person who worked
on that knows enough to implement a few important hooks.  If we only
implement one, then the knowledge collected during the process goes
away, and the next person will have to do it all from scratch.