Re: ELPA policy

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:02:00 +0000

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> If a package is useful to recommend, and we CAN get papers for it, we
>> definitely want to move it to GNU ELPA.
>
> Yes, this is why I want to clearly define ELPA policy, and streamline things
> as much as possible for developers and users: so that it becomes a more
> attractive means for distributing Emacs packages. I think many people may be
> largely ignoring it right now, and so they reach for MELPA. Since so many
> people contribute to MELPA, they consider it a more attractive distribution
> platform.

MELPA is also *easier* to contribute to. Aside from copyright issues, it
involves writing something that looks like lisp, testing on your local
fork, then a PR.

With GNU ELPA, it involves some fairly obscure git cleverness. GNU ELPA
could be made easier by allowing recipes, and by accepting PRs. This
avoids the necessity to have commit access to GNU ELPA to contribute.

Finally, I think that core devs should contribute to individual packages
by PR to their repos.

Phil