Re: Automate Emacs UI testing?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Automate Emacs UI testing?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:36:43 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden writes:

> This is the testing scenario I have worked on.
>
> - Isolate an Emacs build and environment in a Docker container
>   environment. This works well, but it's a little bit tricky getting the
>   containerized Emacs to access the host screen. It is a nice strategy,
>   because you can easily simulate a number of gnu/linux distributions. I
>   used this strategy for my xwidget branch.

I don't think this is the right way to “easily” simulate different
GNU/linux distributions, because IIUC having one Docker container for
each distro implies maintaining them individually.

But since GNU/linux distributions differ only by having different
combinaisons of packages or versions, So it is more lightweight and
maintainable to use a package manager like GNU Guix which handles the
installation of multiple versions of the same package and provides tools
to create isolated environments for each combinaison:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Invoking-guix-environment

WDYT?

--
Mathieu Lirzin