Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 20:51:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: Oleh Krehel
>> This will be harder to fix, since I've only ever dealt with .tar.gz
>> archives (and .zip sometimes). Could someone provide the relative
>> extraction commands for .tar.bz2, .tar.xz, and .tar?
>
> For .tar.bz2, uncompress with bunzip2 to get .tar, for .tar.xz,
> uncompress with unxz to get .tar.  Is that what you wanted?

This is what a reasonably recent GNU tar offers:

 Compression options:

  -a, --auto-compress        use archive suffix to determine the compression
                             program
  -I, --use-compress-program=PROG
                             filter through PROG (must accept -d)
  -j, --bzip2                filter the archive through bzip2
  -J, --xz                   filter the archive through xz
      --lzip                 filter the archive through lzip
      --lzma                 filter the archive through lzma
      --lzop                 filter the archive through xz
      --no-auto-compress     do not use archive suffix to determine the
                             compression program
  -z, --gzip, --gunzip, --ungzip   filter the archive through gzip
  -Z, --compress, --uncompress   filter the archive through compress

As long as the suffix is recognized by tar, the selection of the
uncompress flavor is automatic even without "-a" and you need just "-a"
for the creation of archives (which is nice since I never remember if I
need -j or -J).  But as Paul said, different (and mostly older) tar
implementations often do not support those operations or in a different
way.

Regards,
Achim.