Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:46:53 +0200

Oleh Krehel writes:
> For creating archives I propose that we use:
>
>     (defcustom dired-compress-command
>       "tar -caf %i.tar.gz %i"
>       "The default command for creating archives from directories.
>     %i denotes the directory name.")

You can't assume to have GNU tar nor that it is sufficiently new nor
that the necessary support has been compiled in.  As necessary in other
places, you need to test the capabilities available and chose from those
that are.  You may well end up using a method that is more complicated
in order to have it work across a larger set of systems.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: