Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:03:40 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:50:59 +0300
>
> On 10/10/2015 01:34 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> "We need a common interface for refactoring tools" sounds like a good
> >> problem statement.
> >
> > Is IDE just about refactoring?  I thought it meant much more.
>
> The above more focused and, as such, more useful. "Comprehensive IDE
> features" is not as useful.

But it narrows the field too much, IMO.

> >> A comprehensive set of IDE features might be too lofty a goal for us, in
> >> the foreseeable future.
> >
> > Depends on how many people will work on it.
>
> How many people would you expect to work on it in the near future,
> realistically?

I don't know.

If we cannot find enough, then it simply means it will take more time
to implement the features sequentially rather than in parallel.

> > In any case, having some
> > high-level design that is targeted by all the components will ensure
> > more or less seamless integration when each component becomes
> > available.
>
>  From where I'm standing, this sentence is not useful. Not only you're
> asking for a big design, you don't present a justification for it, e.g.
> how it would be reflected in all components.

Are you saying that high-level design is generally not useful, and
should be avoided, unless "justified"?  That goes against the
engineering principles that the whole industry abides by.

> > Last time I looked the IDEs I sometimes look at (Visual Studio and
> > Eclipse) present a much more pleasant UI for completion.  Why can't we
> > present something similar?
>
> Well, that hurts (a bit).

Sorry.

> If Company's tooltip is not pleasant, what would be pleasant for
> you?

I just gave you 2 examples.

And it's not really about me, it's about the expectations of users out
there.  Don't they expect something they see elsewhere?