Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:50:59 +0300

On 10/10/2015 01:34 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

"We need a common interface for refactoring tools" sounds like a good
problem statement.

Is IDE just about refactoring?  I thought it meant much more.

The above more focused and, as such, more useful. "Comprehensive IDE features" is not as useful.

A comprehensive set of IDE features might be too lofty a goal for us, in
the foreseeable future.

Depends on how many people will work on it.

How many people would you expect to work on it in the near future, realistically?

In any case, having some
high-level design that is targeted by all the components will ensure
more or less seamless integration when each component becomes
available.

From where I'm standing, this sentence is not useful. Not only you're asking for a big design, you don't present a justification for it, e.g. how it would be reflected in all components.

Last time I looked the IDEs I sometimes look at (Visual Studio and
Eclipse) present a much more pleasant UI for completion.  Why can't we
present something similar?

Well, that hurts (a bit). If Company's tooltip is not pleasant, what would be pleasant for you?