Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:22:43 +0300

Hi Alan,

On 09/02/2015 01:02 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

All of what I write above I've written before.  In addition, the
necessity to type a C-x 8 combination to type a curly quote is a serious
impediment.  (For me, remapping ` and ' to things which aren't
self-insert-command (or an electric command) is so inelegant as not to
come into consideration).

Is that a real problem?

As long as curly quotes are relegated to displayed messages and Help buffers, you'll never need to type them as input for external tools.

And as for isearch, in the rare cases where looking for a beginning of a symbol reference is important, you could input \_< or \_> instead.

That may be a bit worse than just typing `, but if we do highlighting with faces (which I think is a good idea to transition to), searching for ` won't work either.