Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:16:28 +0300

On 09/02/2015 05:34 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

W.r.t ambiguity, the main problem I see is that we currently can never
be sure that when we see a ` followed by a ' the two actually form a pair.
A human usually can tell, but a program can't get it right 100% of the time.

Okay. But then, there's no problem in using the same quoting for key sequences, aside from the quote-matching algorithm.

We might also want to support code snippets like `(progn (foo bar foo))'.
At least, elisp-completion-at-point relies on snippets being quoted
that way now.  We can detect these using paired parens.

Not sure I want to go down that road.  What about `(foo 'a 'b)' ?

That, too. At least if this quote-matching logic is implemented in Elisp, forward-sexp can take care of skipping the spaces.

AFAIK it's not very common (yet?) to quote code that way, and I'm not
sure we want to get into the habit of quoting it that way.  I could see
the need/advantage of quoting code reliably, but I don't think `...' is
a good way to do it.

If we take after Markdown (because why not?), it has two methods of quoting code: one for inline code (also used for references), and one for code blocks (on separate lines).

It might be a good idea to also have just one quoting method for inline code. But if you have a better idea for quoting code, that's fine, too.