Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:48:00 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
+          (insert "Don’t output anything.\n"))
>I thought you were going to consider translating unpaired quotes, too?
I'm not sure I'm following.  Can someone explain to me what's the issue
at play here?

Currently, all apostrophes and right single quotation marks are translated in docstrings and diagnostics, even isolated ones such as the example above. Dmitry was wondering whether this is the case: it's something he suggested earlier and I implemented it that way, but I guess he wasn't sure whether I'd done it.

I'm a bit worried about having too much
magic going on, so in general automatic conversion should be avoided
unless it's *really*  often useful and *really*  rarely problematic.

One alternative is to go with a system that normally has no translation, where Emacs source-code docstrings and diagnostics use curved quotes that merely stand for themselves, and where all curved quotes are displayed/searched-for/yanked as ASCII approximations for users who prefer the traditional style. This would remove the need for format-message and/or substitute-command-keys doing any quote translation. A downside is that source code docstrings and diagnostics would need to be converted to use curved quotes.