Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 17:46:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> To see what's going on, I instrumented the code with special
> printouts, and clearly saw that we only record the events that are
> taken from unread-command-events in one of two possible places in the
> code, where we have fragments such as this one:
>
>   if (CONSP (Vunread_command_events))
>     {
>       [...]
>       c = XCAR (Vunread_command_events);
>       Vunread_command_events = XCDR (Vunread_command_events);
>
> One such fragment is at the beginning of read_char, around line 2430
> of keyboard.c -- the events taken there are not recorded, because we
> jump over the code that records them.

That's bad because that sounds _intentional_.

>> Or whether the code is in need of reorganization before one can hope
>> to get it right anyway.
>
> It's next to impossible to reorganize code one doesn't fully
> understand, and do a good job.

In particular when it contains "somebody must have had a good reason for
this, so let's try to preserve some of those semantics" passages.  There
are several #if 0 passages in keyboard.c with various rationales in them
that might have applied at some point of time.

So my suspicion is that this change might result in problems that the
old code arrangement was intended to avoid.  But one will probably not
get new input on this without trying.

--
David Kastrup