Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 20:47:33 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, according to how I read the variable description of
> unread-command-events, some are bounced back there from input which has
> already been recorded.  The description reads:
>
>     Documentation:
>     List of events to be read as the command input.
>     These events are processed first, before actual keyboard input.
>     Events read from this list are not normally added to ‘this-command-keys’,
>     as they will already have been added once as they were read for the
>     first time.
>     An element of the form (t . EVENT) forces EVENT to be added to that list.
>
> My test programs used (t . EVENT) after just using EVENT did not do the
> trick either.

Uh oh.  This is bad news for macro recording of list events.

Defining kbd macro...
Auto-saving...done
<t> is undefined

and the "<t> is undefined" message comes with an abort of macro
recording.  Quite the nuisance.  So  I'll remove the t thing again and
will see how I fare then.

Now obviously if my events appear first in unread-command-events, they
cannot already have been added to this-command-keys, but at least list
events apparently must not be added in the (t . EVENT) form or
_something_ will attempt a lookup and fail.

Since the message appears only _once_, it would appear that the problem
stops occuring the moment macro recording by C-x ( has stopped.

What a can of worms.

--
David Kastrup