Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c4151eb: Improve the optional translation of qu

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c4151eb: Improve the optional translation of quotes
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:29:10 +0300

On 06/21/2015 11:03 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

We've had non-ASCII strings in GNU Emacs Lisp source-code strings for
several years.  It hasn't been a problem in practice.  Obviously we
can't use any Unicode character willy-nilly in any context, but it's
quite safe now to use curved single quotes in docstrings.

Okay, rather than ASCII or not in Elisp code, my concern is whether `substitute-command-keys' should translate *from* curved quotes. It's not hard to imagine `substitute-command-keys' being called on its result again, and then there will be risk of matching different pairs or quotes.

I'd rather keep them in the destination strings, if at all. Like mentioned in the other thread, we can switch to simply using a face to highlight code segments, and then the curved quotes won't be needed at all (at least if that's the user's preference).

Regarding the GC argument, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a machine where it'll make a noticeable difference when processing read-life docstrings.