Re: Silencing noise

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Silencing noise
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 18:32:36 +0300

> From: raman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:16:39 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Long-term it would be nice if message could be aware of the frame/thread
> from where it was launched --- thinking forward to
> concutrrent/multi-threaded emacs, it would be ideal if messages
> displayed  from a thread running in a frame was limited to that frame.

You are IMO making too many hidden assumptions about those, as yet
non-existing, future features, for example that there can be such a
thing as a "thread running on a frame".

To me, the most important objection to limiting a message to some
frame is that by the time the message is displayed that frame might no
longer be current/visible, and might not even exist.

> Food for thought: Should we in that world have a single *Messages*
> buffer where all messages land up -- or a per-frame *Messages* buffer
> with an additional Global-Messages buffer  that shows up everywhere --
> that message queue could then  be sued to display truly urgent alerts
> etc.

I'd like to see the concurrency branch revived and actively developed
to maturity, before I develop appetite for that kind of food.