Re: Async package.el

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Async package.el
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 14:31:32 +0900

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree that's annoying and I have some similar plans. We can change
> the package-installation logic to first download all files
> simultaneously, and then unpack/compile all of them in the proper
> order. So large upgrades would have a significant speed improvement.

Though maybe it might be off topic, I was wondering if it is possible to
do the compilation (and perhaps downloading / unpacking) phase in a
separate Emacs process, so that the running Emacs session is not
affected by loading the compile-time requirements of a package.

Given that Emacs is rather a lightweight program these days, I guess it
isn't too impractical perhaps?  To implement that, maybe one would add a
few batch functions in package.el and a comint interface to communicate
with the inferior Emacs.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno