Re: Async package.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Async package.el
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:59:18 +0100

> On 04/07/2015 08:31 AM, Daiki Ueno wrote:
>
>> Though maybe it might be off topic, I was wondering if it is possible to
>> do the compilation (and perhaps downloading / unpacking) phase in a
>> separate Emacs process, so that the running Emacs session is not
>> affected by loading the compile-time requirements of a package.
>

> https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-async/blob/master/async-bytecomp.el
> implements something like that.

This is exactly what I've done in Paradox as well. There were a few
bugs at first, but I think they're all ironed out now so it should be
very doable.

Still, I'd need to hear how other people on the dev list feels about
using a second Emacs instance for something. Last time I mentioned it
to Stefan he said he'd prefer for the installation to be done by the
running Emacs.