Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 16:36:59 -0400

> I like my syntax-table to understand to know as much as possible, so
> that other commands can dwim. Perhaps I'll try a message-mode hack to
> make blockquotes and smileys comment syntax. That should bring the 90%
> to 99%...

My previous message was another example of problematic situations:

   The behavior of the old electric-pair-mode did not use syntax-ppss and
   its `)' simply always skipped (if there was a `)' to skip, obviously).

Those `)' thingies shouldn't be counted.  There can be many other
reasons.  Here's another: in message-mode you might have a buffer that
looks like:

   > foo far bla (blibli
   Here's my answer to that.

Again, the parens are not balanced (in this case because the matching
paren was simply in a part of the message which was omitted).

> Anyway `electric-pair-local-mode' is now available so people can choose.

I actually don't want to disable electric-pair-mode in text-modes.
But I do find it occasionally too optimistic in its assessment of what
it knows.

        Stefan