Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:19:22 -0400

>> [ I'm curious to know more about those isearch and minibuffer cases
>> because I haven't bumped into them.  Not that it makes any difference
>> to the following.  ]
> It's just a nuisance. If I'm performing an isearch, looking for
> "foo(bar", the matching will, of course, stop to find anything at
> "foo()" just before I kill the closing paren.

I don't understand:

   C-s f o o ( b a r

does not search for "foo(bar)" but for "foo(bar" for me.

> [ just terminology here, isn't anything which is not global-minor
>   automatically buffer local? ]

Right, sorry, just terminology:
Yes, a non-global minor mode is a buffer-local minor-mode.
But to me a "non regular" minor mode is one that doesn't quite follow
all the conventions (e.g. it's not implemented with define-minor-mode,
treats its argument slightly differently or doesn't take any argument,
etc...).

        Stefan