Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 09:46:57 +0100

On Fri, Feb 06 2015, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Yes, they compete.  But the intention is not to replace one with
> another.  The intention of people working on LLVM is to solve their
> immediate problem, and for one reason or another, they don't consider
> GCC as a good way to solve their problem.
>
> Nobody would benefit from killing GCC, really.  Not even control freaks
> who think the GPL is the plague.

I wonder if there is enough room for more than one competitor.  If
evolutionary principles apply to software, then GCC might indeed be in
danger, because currently it does look like LLVM is more "fit", produces
(much) more "offspring" and generally takes resources away from GCC.

It also worries me that OpenGL drivers use LLVM to compile shader
programs, making LLVM quite an important part of the graphics stack.
And GCC has AFAIK no backend for any GPU.

Helmut