Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 19:18:39 +0200

> From: Ivan Shmakov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:37:41 +0000

> […]
>
>  >>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Box-Diagrams.html
>
>  > What I see there is not what was described in this discussion.  There
>  > are blocks of text there that are exempt from word wrap, that's all.
>
>       That’s also all what I’ve initially requested: to be able to
>       mark portions of text as exempt from word wrap.  (Or, better
>       still, – to force truncation for such lines.)

No, you said:

        There’s an minor issue of how to display word-wrapped lines
        while the window is scrolled horizontally.     Currently,
        horizontal scrolling simply inhibits word-wrap.^^^^^^^^^

And Firefox does that too: it inhibits word wrap when horizontal
scrolling is in effect.  It just doesn't unwrap what was already
wrapped, that's all the difference.

>  > But as soon as you make the window narrow enough to have the
>  > horizontal scroll bar appear, and you scroll horizontally using that
>  > scroll bar, the entire text is scrolled as one rigid body,
>
>       With lines being wrapped /past/ the window’s own borders, right?

No, dynamic wrapping is disabled there.  Firefox simply keeps the
result of the last wrapping.

>       So, you’d see exactly the picture Stefan has provided earlier:
>
>  SM> +---------+
>  SM>  here is t|he example|
>  SM>  wrapped t|ext       |
>  SM>           ^          |
>  SM>     window border    |
>  SM>                      |
>  SM>                      ^
>  SM>                 wrap-column
>
>       Or perhaps even:
>
>       |← window borders →|
>     He|e is the more or l|ss
>     th| same example text| ↖
>       |                  |  wrap-column
>
>       Such display is clearly possible with Firefox, while the Emacs
>       display engine so far doesn’t support it.

Yes, but Emacs has a harder job to do: the above model is problematic
with bidirectional text when a single buffer has paragraphs of
different directionality (which Firefox doesn't seem to support).

>  > exactly as Emacs does with horizontal scrolling.
>
>       It isn’t the behavior I observe, – when I scroll a Emacs window
>       horizontally, all the lines that were wrapped are magically
>       unwrapped.

I meant the scrolling part -- everything as a rigid body.  The
unwrapping part is a clear evidence that some feature is missing in
Emacs, no argument there.