Re: HTML-Info design

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:20:26 +0000

 >> As per the current shr.el version, this only affects HTML documents
 >> which use tables to implement such layouts, – and HTML5 already
 >> discourages that [1]:

 > The reality is that these layouts are very common.  I don't see any
 > need to discuss that point further.

        Good.  Still, such layouts are a nuisance to deal with in EWW
        (or with any other code that relies on SHR, for that matter.)
        Consider, for instance, the following:

    This is the sidebar, which          This is the page content proper.
    is placed to the left of the        Emacs may apply its usual
    “payload” content in the            facilities to flow it as
    browsers implementing (a            necessary, without any trouble
    larger subset of) CSS.              whatsoever.  For one thing, many
    Unless being tweaked by the         MediaWiki instances use exactly
    user to his or her own              this layout.
    taste, that is.

        Now, what’s the easy way to put the second sentence of the right
        column into the kill ring?

        My idea is that EWW should provide a way for the user to ignore
        the “layout” tables, – either applying some heuristics (there’re
        some ideas on that in [1], BTW), or via an explicit user command
        (not dissimilar to eww-readable, I guess, – I do not seem to
        understand what the latter is intended to do.)  Or both.

        Sure, we may instead try to improve the Emacs display model to
        support such layouts natively, but, well, – I won’t believe
        /that/ until I see actual patches to that end.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A