Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:35:20 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > You can add these alternatives to the index, but in practice you
 > > can't compete with google with a manually compiled index, because
 > > you can add just so many alternatives, while google does the same
 > > mechanically and intelligently (stemming, thesaurus, etc.), so
 > > it will always have an advantage.
 >
 > So let's add such a front end to Emacs as well.  Should be a nice
 > project, I think.

The problem is how do you assemble the results into an "index" for the
manual?  The scary thing about Google is that it is reindexing the
Emacs manual constantly based on click trails (I assume), and that
information is immediately available to all Google users (for some
reasonably short value of "immediate").

 > (Btw, "mechanically" and "intelligently" contradict each other.)

No, they just apply to different facets of the solution: "intelligent"
refers to the design, "mechanical" to the implementation.