Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 00:35:53 +0100

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> That is remarkable. However for pages with that many images I would
>> tell the image sizes in the HTML code and then do the actual loading
>> of the images in the scroll event:
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/window.onscroll
>
> It is not exactly going to make moving around more pleasant when any
> scrolling results in reloading/rendering.  Stuff like Google image
> search does that, and while it delivers a fast first response,
> scrolling/searching around gets more irritating.

That is maybe a slight misunderstanding. In the case we are talking
about the layout will be known to the browser since we have told the
height and width of the images. So scrolling is not affected. If the
image is not loaded there will be a gray rectangle there instead.

Of course loading the image may require some CPU cycles. I am not sure
(without testing), but in most cases I think you will not notice that
very much.