Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:05:20 +0100

>   > Stuff like
>   > <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/input/regression/collated-files.html>
>   > is painful to scroll around even locally loaded.
>
> Could you expand on that point?  It is hard for me to look at that
> myself and study the issue to understand the problem -- could you say
> a few lines to explain the issue?

It's a very long page, with text and images interspersed all the time.
The downloading and rendering for the images takes a while, changing the
browser's idea of the sizes all the time (maybe Texinfo should declare
the geometry of images in the HTML if it doesn't already).  As a result
of the large and potentially not yet completely rendered page (probably
corresponding to hundreds of printed pages), scrolling (via scroll bar)
is not responsive in a graphical browser.  Stuff like incremental
searches also tend to react rather sluggish.

Moving around the same stuff in Emacs Info tends to be rather quick,
even though Emacs has its own peculiarities moving across
larger-than-window images.

--
David Kastrup