Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 23:38:44 -0800

David Kastrup wrote:
I don't actually see the big deal in compilation times for a full
compilation.  It's not like one does it all the time.

I do it all the time when I'm editing manuals, because I want to check the output. Or at least, I *used* to do it back when Texinfo was reasonably fast.

Also, if I check out another branch and do a "make", the other branch may have different manuals and so this may force "make" to rebuild them, and "make" may take a long time, even when using "make -j" -- the manuals are now *so* slow to process that they are often on the critical path for "make -j".

I did find a simple way to avoid the performance problem: don't edit the documentation and don't switch branches. But these restrictions are really off-putting. We need to do better.