Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 09:47:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Anyway, no matter what the reason for not upgrading, in the meantime we're
>> stuck with old-technology Texinfo, and this is partly why it might be a good
>> idea to think about changing.
>
> FWIW, while I don't hold Texinfo very dearly in my heart, I have some
> real problems with labeling it as nothing else than "old-technology".

The first copyright date in texinfo.tex is from 1985.  TeX originates
from the 70s and still is pervasive for quality batch text typesetting
workflows.  "Old" alone is not bad.  This is the Emacs developer list,
isn't it?

> There are newer tools, of course, but it's not like they're so much
> incredibly better that Texinfo is just "old-technology".

Old wine in new wineskins.

> CVS is old-technology.

And here the inherent limitations are worth ditching it.  Particularly
the lack of convenient private or offline workflows is a real hurdle.

--
David Kastrup