Re: Trunk still not open

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:01:26 +0100

John Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> A misattribution is not when somebody was not the first to say
>> something but rather when he did not say it at all.
>>

> You are correct.  I stand corrected.  Still, much as I enjoy Mark
> Twain, I regret that he gets so much credit for a witticism with a
> long illustrious pedigree.

Shrug.  He's a humorist, and a _lot_ of humor dates back to antiquity.
You don't blame Shakespeare for plundering the classics either, do you?

Stravinsky once said "lesser artists borrow, great artists steal".  The
point of art is not to be the first in any endeavor but the best.

The perversion of the copyright industry makes it easy to forget that
culture is supposed to be a battlefield of ideas, not a large prison
with solitary confinement for each idea.

It's like code...

--
David Kastrup