Re: dealing with local patches - mercurial queues over bzr/git checkout

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: dealing with local patches - mercurial queues over bzr/git checkout
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 14:31:31 -0500

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 11:11 -0800, Jarek Czekalski wrote:
> In my approach I don't pay much attention to the version control system used
> by a project, because I always init a mercurial repository on top of it.
> Then I use mercurial queues concept.

While MQ still has proponents, I think hg's Evolve feature is a much
better thing to do. The idea with evolve is that you can rewrite and
rebase commits as much as you want, even collaboratively, and it's all
safe. A commit, really, is nothing more than a patch that remembers
where it's based on, so it knows how to be merged.

For git users, Evolve is sort of like a safe "git push --force". It's
"git push --force" without any contraindications.

- Jordi G. H.