Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:47:20 +0300

On 22.08.2013 04:55, Stefan Monnier wrote:
README.md also may be missing usage information that's in Commentary.
I've checked, and it's actually the case with all packages I'm
maintaining (except one, out of 6), whether I'm the author or not.

Why couldn't that be fixed?  Why should usage info not be in README.md?

Because it's customary to put at least something into Commentary, usage info seems to be the most natural info to put there, and duplicating text is not nice. See my previous emails for better arguments.

Take company's README.md, for example.  It's barren, but Commentary in
company.el contains what you'd expect from a description.  I'd like to keep
things that way there.

We can remove README.md from elpa/packages/company, if you prefer.

Of course I don't.

Or we could just remove support for elpa/packages/*/README.md so that
those files are systematically ignored.

That's what I was suggesting. Keep supporting plain README's, unlike Melpa, as a backward compatibility measure, and because they're rare anyway.

If you're okay with that, I can make the change.

Note that I still like the idea of using README.md's for pages at elpa.gnu.org/packages/*, but that can be implemented later.