Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:16:14 +0200

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> That "fix" sounds ominous, but perhaps I'm becoming paranoid.

Just a little bit ;-)

> (what works?

Saving and restoring frames, which should (and could) produce unwanted
results because I don't save the font parameter.

> what is the feature?

The same one I'm developing. Save&restore frames&windows.

> what is the relation to changing font(set) between invocations?)

That currently, if you save a frame, and then start Emacs with another
fontset, and then desktop-read, the frames will not have the same size
(pixel-wise), which can be a problem for big frames or frames where
the exact size is important.

If the font parameter were saved, recreating the frame would use it.

I'm QUITE afraid you will now say that in some cases you want the font
saved (you already said as much), but in other cases you would the
frames to be "transparent" to the font, so restoring them woul inherit
the current default font of the running Emacs.

> I hope that changing the font size will continue to resize the frame and
> associated building blocks.

Yes. The font value of a frame parameter cannot preclude you doing
(set-default-font "DejaVus Sans Mono-15" nil t) and changing every
frame in sight.

> I make heavy use of this feature (a frame's font driving size in
> general).  It would break most of what I use everyday if this feature
> were to be "fixed" away.

For features, all input is welcome. For bugs, I would prefer if you
could wait untill you stumble upon it ;-)