Re: company.el status?

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: company.el status?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 14:38:10 +0100

On 2013-03-09 11:05, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 09.03.2013 7:11, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Much better would be to use the ELPA branch as the official upstream.
Leaving aside other details, I'd be more comfortable using ELPA for development if it were using Git (this is coming, I hear), and if it didn't lump all packages together in one repository. The current situation only seems useful when someone is making sweeping changes across packages, like updating copyright dates. This action seems to be relatively rare, and could be automated either way.
As I indicated, I haven't kept up with development and therefore know very little about the current ELPA process. It always seemed sensible to me to have a (public) development repository and then push stable releases upstream. From what Dmitry says, it doesn't sound like ELPA works as an easily findable and forkable development repository.
On 09.03.2013 12:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Why do we need Github?
I've used it as such a development repository (to mirror my private development)
Also, I suppose there should be some kind of project homepage.

I see a certain need for both these things, not for GitHub per se.
The decision is up to Nikolaj, but for one thing, I expect strong correlation between people who prefer using completion mechanism with graphical interface and ones who would prefer a bug tracker with an actual user interface versus email-driven austerity that is Debbugs.
Actually, I'd like to leave this to you, Dmitry.
Since I'm not going to do much of the development work, I certainly don't want to dictate the process. I'll support whatever works best for you.

kind regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher