Re: company.el status?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: company.el status?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 07:28:53 +0400

On 27.03.2013 6:56, Tim Cross wrote:
My question as well. While I won't lose any sleep should we give up on
bzr and move to git, I am very concerned regarding further fracturing of
the emacs ecosystem if that means using a platform which is using
non-free tools. Git != GitHub.

I believe I presented some reasons why a project might want to use GitHub over hosting solely at gnu.org.

> Lets have all official emacs packages use
git, but on gnu.org <http://gnu.org>. If we start moving things out to
various other locations, before long, we will have forks and different

Forks are good, the power to create one is one of the main freedoms provided by free software licenses. If a project has people taking its code and running in different directions, it means the project is in demand, and it increases the probability that those people either contribute back, or maybe create something newer and more exciting.

versions all over the place, leaving an envrionment where only the
determined and experienced emacser has any hope - all new users will run
a mile.

As long as GNU ELPA is easy to contribute to and the project maintainer is willing, there shouldn't be any problems.

Now, if you're actually using the package, how about contributing some code? I'm currently the sole developer, and I'm not in any danger of splitting into several people anytime soon.

--Dmitry