Re: Building Emacs on two different OSes from a shared directory

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Building Emacs on two different OSes from a shared directory
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:36:17 +0100 (CET)

[Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden> (2013-01-28 09:53:46 UTC)]

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:38:55 +0100
> Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Of course, if I make a separate branch for each OS, there should not
> > be any problem, but the question is whether I could compile Emacs on
> > both OSes using the same directory tree.
>
> The GNU Build System distinguishes two trees: the source tree, and the build
> tree.  So I think you can do it.

One way to do that would be, on architecture foo:

./autogen.sh
mkdir build_foo
cd build_foo
../configure
make

I am not too sure if autogen.sh has results that are incompatible between
architectures, though, so you might not get away with building for
architectures foo and bar at the same time.

- Harald