Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message

From: Mark Lillibridge
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:32:15 -0800

>  Mark Lillibridge writes:
>
>   >     Messages stored in mbox format have lines starting with >*From\
>   > escaped by adding an extra > at the front.  This escaping needs to be
>   > reversed to get the original message back.  See bug #13329 for more
>   > details.
>
>  It's not particularly relevant to the problem Richard is reporting,
>  but that's incorrect.  mbox formats vary, but the most common ones
>  stuff a ">" if and only if the string "From " occurs at the beginning
>  of a line.  If ">From" occurs at the beginning of a line, you can't
>  know whether it was stuffed by the MDA or by the message author or
>  what.

    Yes, mbox formats vary; I was describing mboxrd above, which I
believe is the current Rmail default and does not suffer from this
problem.  See bug #6574 for why mboxo, which you describe above,
corrupts messages with ">From " lines.  Either way, unescaping is
required for forwarding or resending messages (destination system may
not use mbox at all).

>  The only portable way I know to handle this involves hiding the
>  message text from MDAs by encoding "From" or ">From" as quoted-
>  printable.

    Agreed.  Base64 also works.  I don't think either of the message
sending libraries in Emacs does this, however.

- Mark