Re: "Loading"

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "Loading"
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:07:43 +0100

> The progress-reporter, spinning in the echo area, is not an option,
> because the minibuffer shall be usable. Therefore I'm thinking about to
> reactivate the old proposal of a progress-reporter extension, spinning \
> | / in the modeline (more precisely: in `mode-line-remote').

I think spinning something in the mode line to indicate that we're
waiting for network traffic is a very good idea.

> I believe it would be a good thing, if running asynchronous operations
> are made visible consistently in Emacs. Maybe we could agree on the same
> function?

In messages with images, there's usually more than one.  Some may be
downloading, some may have failed and some may not be downloading at
all.  I was thinking that it would make sense to "spin" the particular
images that are in the process of downloading to give the user an
obvious feedback on what's happening with each particular image.

However, I'm not absolutely sure that's necessary.  The three categories
could be distinguished otherwise.  If the downloading fails, perhaps a
"broken image" image could be shown instead, and for the images that
aren't going to be downloaded, perhaps some other icon could be shown.
Spinning in the buffer itself may be unnecessarily distracting.