Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:05:36 +0100

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 00:58, Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

> The distribution should have everything the user might *optionally* want.

That's just an opinion, and one I happen not to agree with.

> This kind of minimalist thinking doesnt exactly help new users
> adopt emacs when they have no clue about building or fetching/installing
> such components themsleves.

GnuTLS is not required to "adopt Emacs". I would say that, for a
Windows user, adding the image libraries would be more useful that
GnuTLS, because I bet most of them are not going to start using Emacs
to read e-mail or surf the web.

> If distributing binaries
> local to the emacs install helps people get going then why not?

For Windows users, enabling CUA mode by default will "help" them more.
But we don't do it.

But, as for "why not"... Why? Why us? Why cannot the people who is so
interested in doing it just set a side project to build an Emacs
installer, and be done with it?

> You can disable this. You're an advanced user.

Irrelevant.

    Juanma