Re: Windows' "split status"

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:10:49 +0800

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> What about the nest status?  Is there any reason that needs to stick
>> around?
>
> To avoid that recombine_windows removes a parent window that glues
> windows together.  That's needed for implementing atomic and side
> windows which then would work only with `window-nest' permanently t.

OK, I see.

How about a variation on this scheme: introduce a `max-children' window
parameter which, if non-nil, determines the maximum number of children
that a window can have (relevant only for internal windows).  For atomic
and side windows, this window parameter would be explicitly set to 2.
When the window parameter is nil or absent, the actual value would be
determined by a user option `window-max-children'.

That would make the behavior more explicit, I think.