Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: C-x 2 and C-x 3
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:14:48 -0400

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> (split-window-linewise &optional here)
> (split-window-columnwise &optional here)

While I like the notion of the optional HERE argument to control the
position of the slit these names fail to capture an important semantic
brought up earlier, namely that the user has control over which of the
resulting windows will receive focus.  IOW would
split-window-columnwise correspond to slit-window-left or
split-window-right?

Does anyone else find the term 'split' jarring?  Many GUI apps have
'splitters' (e.g. Excel).  If Emacs' primitives really did perform a
classic split then the resulting windows would show more or less the
contents that was on the screen prior to performing the split.  But
that is not what happens.  Emacs' splits really duplicate windows.

So maybe...

(dupe-window-above &optional HERE)
(dupe-window-below &optional HERE)
(dupe-window-left &optional HERE)