Re: gnu-emacs-help news->mail gateway

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: gnu-emacs-help news->mail gateway
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:52:56 -0400

Tim Cross wrote:

> I personally don't like web based forums and I find my participation
> in mail list based groups is far less.\ than for newsgroups.

A mailing list is not the same thing as a "web based forum" (I dislike
those too), so I don't understand this comment. And you read and replied
pretty quickly to my message using a mailing list, so lists can't be
unusable. :)

I don't personally see much of a difference between a mailing list and a
newsgroup (mailing lists have subscription and less spam?), but you can
read mailing lists via news if you prefer at http://gmane.org/.

I was only saying "deprecate" the newsgroup. As it stands, I basically
have to read both gnu.emacs.help and help-gnu-emacs to be certain of
seeing every message. I'd prefer to increase the odds of seeing
everything in one place, and one obvious way to do that is to encourage
people to only use one place.