Re: gnu-emacs-help news->mail gateway

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: gnu-emacs-help news->mail gateway
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:15:42 +1100

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> The news->mail gateway for gnu-emacs-help (and most likely all lists)
> seems down, again, at the moment. The direction mail->news seems to be
> working ok.
>
> I reported it to address@hidden and it will presumably be fixed, but I
> wonder if it is time to deprecate the newsgroup interface in favour of
> the mailing lists? It seems hard to keep the gateway operating reliably.
> (It's already deprecated for bug reporting.)
>
> Someone might like to check what % of posts to gnu.emacs.help were made
> to the mailing list in the first instance.

Although I expect it is inevitable, I find it disappointing to see
news slowly being dropped as a communication channel. While I know
that the alternatives offer similar functionality, it does have an
impact. I personally don't like web based forums and I find my
participation in mail list based groups is far less.\ than for
newsgroups.

Tim

--
Tim Cross