Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 21:17:01 +0300

> display-buffer-according-to-specifiers which would interpret its
> parameters in a similar way to what is now done in Martin's
> buffer-display-alist.

I expect this eventually will turn `display-buffer-alist' into

  (("\\*\\(vc-\\)?diff*"
    display-buffer-according-to-specifiers (spec . val))
   ("\\*\\(compilation\\|grep\\)\\*"
    display-buffer-according-to-specifiers (spec . val))
   ...)

because predefined spec values are easier to customize.

> I know this won't satisfy everyone, but let-binding as is done above has
> too many problems of its own.  Maybe we could have a new
> display-buffer-default-rule variable (not a user option) such that
> display-buffer uses this variable when its RULE arg is nil, so
> info-other-window could do
>
>   (let ((display-buffer-default-rule '(display-buffer-other-window)))
>     (info ...))

Yes, a single variable would be enough to override the display-buffer's arg
(maybe a better name would be `display-buffer-specifiers').

> A related issue: I tend to dislike the *-other-(frame|window) commands
> and would rather have C-x 4 and C-x 5 as prefix commands that modify the
> way the subsequent command works.  Not sure how best to get this behavior.

Then for completeness there should be a key prefix to force displaying the
buffer in the same window (when the default behavior is to display it
in another window).