Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 21:22:07 +0300

>> But I do use an unlimited number of windows (and frames), so I really
>> want to cater to such users as well ;-)
>
> "As well" I suppose means that in next release
>
>     emacs -Q RET C-x 3 M-x y TAB
>
> will finally open the *completions* in a 3rd full width bottom
> window also for everyone,

I'm impatiently waiting for this as well ;)

> possibly instructed by a nice default entry in the new
> 'display-buffer-alist'?

I'd like to do this with something like:

  (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '(
     ((name . "*Completions*")
      (method near-minibuffer below-selected other-window))
     )

i.e. first try to create a 3rd full width bottom window, then try to
display the *Completions* buffer below the currently selected window,
and when this is not possible then display it in any other window
on the same frame.