Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:02:19 +0900

> FLOSS, for "Free/libre and open source software", is a reasonable term
> to use to talk about both the free software movement and the open
> source camp.  A good treatment will also state what each of the two
> camps stands for, since most readers are misinformed about both.
>
> FOSS puts us at a disadvantage because "open source" is more visible
> than "free software".  Adding "/libre" balances that out.

Hmm, I'm not sure I get the "more visible" part -- "free" is the very
first thing in the FOSS acronym, it always seemed to me like a
not-so-subtle way of saying "free software and oh yeah, that other
thing, open source"...  FOSS and FLOSS both "feel" about the same to me.

I like adding libre since it's a nice evocative word, so it seems kind
of a shame that "FLOSS" also has the potentially confusing mundane
meaning as word ...

hMmm ... "Proprietary software making your mouth feel dirty?  Always
remember to FLOSS!"  :]

-miles

--
You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.