Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:10:50 -0700

On 06/15/11 21:22, Miles Bader wrote:
> what's your opinion of the somewhat common term "FOSS" --
> "Free and Open-Source Software"?

The acronyn "FLOSS" (for "Free/Libre and Open Source Software
Development") is also common among academic researchers
studying the field.  There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of
refereed papers published on the topic.  Presumably
Carver et al. want to add to this list, and I expect their
papers will do a good job covering free/libre software,
now that they have a heads-up from RMS.

For recent and potential future work in this booming area of
academia, please see:

Krowston K, Wei K, Howison J, Wiggins A.
Free/Libre Open Source Software development: what we know and what we do not
know.
ACM Computing Surveys 2010
<http://flossplanet.info/system/files/CrowstonFLOSSReviewPaperPreprint.pdf>

Scacchi W.
The future of research in free/open source software development.
Proc FoSER '10
<http://www.ics.uci.edu/~wscacchi/Papers/New/FoSER-Scacchi-2010.pdf>