Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 08:43:55 -0700

  Ted> I wouldn't go as far as a tooltip, though.  I think it's important that
  Ted> the emacs-panel popup frames be like any other Emacs frame, simply
  Ted> displaying a buffer.  That way we can use all the normal buffer-level
  Ted> facilities when we display things inside emacs-panel popups, like text
  Ted> properties and image overlays and UI elements.

I request for a bit more inside of an emacs-panel.

Please let live emacs-panels consist of live emacs-tiles.

Live meaning updated (as you are already doing it
with the timer).

A live emacs-tile being a rectangle. Associated
with a buffer.

Each emacs-tile has an "update" function.

A live emacs-tile may optionally have a clickable
(touchable) function. So, in addition to being
"live" it is optionally "active". Each emacs-tile
may have an "activate" function.

So, an emacs-panel would not be simply displaying
a buffer, but possibly a series of buffers
(tiles).

With tiles available inside of panels, we would be
one more step closer towards making Emacs24 Mobile.

With "live" and "active" emacs-tiles available within
emacs-panels, we could then provide a parallel to
(easy-menu-define) where even existing menus are also
emacs-panel/tile based.

The process of splitting an emacs-panel into
emacs-tiles can be based on something like Lars's
(gnus-add-configuration).

All of that would let Emacs24-Mobile to compete
with Windows7-Mobile UI.

Your thoughts?

...Mohsen