Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 02:23:09 -0700

On 03/16/2011 01:47 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The trouble is, we keep requiring newer versions of autoconf from time
> to time, and later more frequently than in the past.  Experience shows
> that upgrading autoconf on fencepost involves asking GNU sysadmins to
> do that, which takes a non-trivial amount of time and sometimes
> repeated pinging.

That may have been a problem in the past, but it's not a problem now,
because fencepost's /usr/bin/autoconf is Autoconf 2.65, which
is good enough for Emacs.

In the long run I don't expect this to be a major issue,
but if I'm wrong, I can volunteer to keep
good-enough versions of automake and autoconf installed on
fencepost, under ~eggert/bin say, and that will be enough to
get it to work.