Re: Avoiding replies on emacs-diffs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Avoiding replies on emacs-diffs
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:35:15 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > That would suck, just as much as other uses of reply-to: it would make
 > it unnecessarily difficult to reply personally to the committer.

You could put the committer in there too.  Committers who don't want
the implied dupes (they're all on emacs-devel, right?) can set nodupes
in their Mailman options.

M-F-T is non-standard *for email*, and unimplemented in many
email-oriented MUAs.  It's not strong enough.

The fallback is to just prohibit posting from anyone but the commit
'bot.  But then it's "unnecessarily difficult" to followup to the
appropriate list for exactly the people who have the most inflexible
MUAs.

BTW, AFAICS the only people who *need* to reply personally to
committers are you and Yidong (for "Don't *do* that, you nitwit!
Revert and do it *yesterday*!" messages :-) and I suppose you can
write a function to grovel From out of the header....

I don't like policy-by-mail-header any more than you do, but we have
to work with the crappy MUAs that users love to use.  Even Emacsers.